Sanitary Sewer Lateral Program
Effective January 1, 2017, the Sanitary Sewer Lateral Insurance Program reimbursements will be reduced from 80% to 50%.
Over the past several years the City has experienced a major increase in the number of claims in the Creve Coeur Sanitary Sewer Lateral Insurance Program.The expenditures for reimbursements have been significantly higher than revenues collected through the $28.00 per property annual fee, necessitating this reimbursement rate change.
Sewer Lateral InsuranceThe City of Creve Coeur insures sewer laterals for homes in the City for up to fifty percent (50%) of the cost to repair defective laterals, with a maximum City contribution of $7,500. A sewer lateral is the pipe that carries household waste from the home to the Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District (MSD) sewer main. This program covers only the portion of the lateral pipe between the house connection and the sewer main. This program does not cover a sewer line located under any part of a building or a break inside of the home.
Sewer Lateral Line BreaksWhen a sewer lateral line breaks or becomes clogged, sewage typically backs up into the home or yard. Areas in the yard may also sink or collapse in the vicinity of the broken pipe. If you believe your sewer lateral line is broken or clogged, there are a few steps that you need to take before filing a claim with the City.
What to Do
- Contact a plumber or sewer cleaning service to have your sewer lateral cleaned and/or cleared of root infiltration. This is a home-maintenance expense that is not reimbursable by the City.
- If cleaning does not solve the problem, then you should have a plumber complete a video inspection of the lateral.
- Complete an application for the program and submit it and a copy of the inspection video, report, and supporting documentation to the Department of Public Works for review. The application for the program can be found here: Sanitary Sewer Lateral Application
- The Department of Public Works will evaluate whether the lateral has issues that warrant repairs and whether these repairs qualify for reimbursement through the program. Staff will typically review the inspection and notify the applicant of the findings within five (5) days.
- If the City determines that the inspection shows that the lateral has defects that warrant repair or replacement that qualifies for the program, then you must obtain three (3) repair bids and submit these bids to the City for review.
- The City will review the bids for consistency and completeness and will determine the lowest responsible bid for the work. The City will set the reimbursement amount based upon the lowest responsible bid.
- It is the responsibility of the homeowner to enter into an agreement with the contractor to perform the work, to schedule the work, and to pay the contractor.
- Upon completion of the work, the homeowner must submit copies of the following:
(1) Sanitary Sewer Lateral Application
(2) Copies of all bids received
(3) A receipt showing payment (in full) to the contractor
(4) A receipt showing all real estate taxes for the current year are paid in full for the property at which the repairs took place
(5) A lien waiver from the contractor for the work
(6) A completed permit for the work from the St. Louis County Plumbing Department
ReimbursementUpon receipt of all required documents, the City will reimburse the property owner for 50% of the cost of all qualifying repairs, with the City paying a maximum of $7,500. Prior to the reimbursement, the homeowner must pay the plumber in full, as well as any outstanding City bills (such as permit fees, fines for violations, and charges for copies) and the current year’s St. Louis County real estate taxes.
Please contact Kellie Henke in the Department of Public Works at (314) 872-2533 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.