Sequence of Inspections for Wood Decks
Inspection Sequence for Wood Decks
- Pier Inspection: An inspection of the location, dimensions and depth of the piers must be completed and approved to prior to pouring any concrete. Inspector will also verify suitable soil conditions.
- Framing Inspection: All structural members and connections, as well as the house / deck flashing must be inspected and approved prior to installation of deck material. Guard rail posts and stair stringers should be cut and installed prior to this inspection.
- Note: Ledger board must be attached directly to the concrete foundation or through the siding / veneer to the house bandboard. Attachment to veneer only is permitted.
- Final Inspection: The completed deck project must be inspected and approved prior to use.
The use of ACQ, CBA or CA preservative-treated wood for this deck requires the use of fasteners, connectors and hangers that are specifically recommended by the hardware manufacturer or the treated wood producer for use with these types of wood products. Stainless steel or G185 hot-dipped galvanized fasteners, connectors or hangers may be required. Stainless steel fasteners, connectors or hangers cannot be used in combination with galvanized fasteners, connectors or hangers. Aluminum flashings are not permitted
for use with ACQ, CBA or CA preservative-treated wood products.
Note: Building Inspector will need to be able to verify that the proper fasteners, connectors, hangers and flashing were used.
Conditions of Approval
Conditions of approval include:
- Maximum riser heights are 7 3/4 inches.
- Minimum tread width is 10 inches.
- The tolerance between the largest and smallest riser or between the largest and smallest tread will not exceed 3/8 of an inch in any flight of stairs.
- Solid risers are required on stairs.
- A graspable handrail on at least one side of the stairs with four or more risers installed 34-38 inches above the stair landing is required. This will be measured vertically above the stair nosing. Handrails will have a minimum outside diameter of at least 1 1/4 inches and a maximum of 2 inches.