Who is responsible for drainage and erosion issues on my property?

Private drainage and erosion issues, as well as ground water issues, are the responsibility of the property owner. Drainage directed from gutters, downspouts or other private systems to neighboring properties is a civil matter between the property owners. Driveways, and their associated culverts or bridges, that cross public drainage systems (e.g., that cross over ditches or streams) are also property owner responsibilities. Information or assistance maybe available from Public Works about the cause of the problem and possible solutions; however, the city cannot recommend a particular contractor or undertake any work outside a city easement. Property owners are responsible for routine grounds maintenance such as grass mowing and trash / debris removal – owners should ensure that systems and structures are kept free of yard waste (grass clippings, tree trimmings, and leaves) or other obstructions that may block the flow of water, including: trees, shrubs and other growth within easements: driveways and their associated culverts or bridges; and fences, which are allowed in easements as long as they do not block the flow of stormwater.

Show All Answers

1. Whom do I call to report a flooded streets or illegal dumped materials in the street or public right-of-way?
2. What is required by the City to discharge drain tubes and pipes?
3. Can the City help me with stormwater?
4. Will the City pay to correct stormwater problems on my property?
5. Who is responsible for drainage and erosion issues on my property?
6. What is stormwater pollution?
7. What is watershed?
8. Is stormwater treated before it flows to the rivers and ocean?
9. What is the difference between a storm drain and a sewer drain?
10. What are the effects of storm water pollution?
11. How can I keep my neighborhood and local waterways pollution free?
12. What is a detention or retention basin?